When we were in Venice over the summer we bought a beautiful oil painting that I fell in love with! It was so funny the artist kept trying to talk us out of it saying that it was too expensive. I assured him that I loved it and went to talk to Doug to see if I could get it. In the process of me talking to the artist he had come down from his original price by 30 Euro. When Doug went up to the artist to buy it he lowered his price even further by 10-20 Euro! It was so funny, we never mentioned once that WE thought it was too much, just how much I loved it. But he kept lowering the price of it. I would have bought it at full price. I hate bartering with people who actually work for their living. There are enough bums in this world that just ask for a handout that when there is a person who instead of just asking for a handout decided to be an artist and sell his paintings to people for a living, then I feel like we should support those people. Anyway, I FINALLY got the picture stretched and then when I went to pick it up (Nicole, at your old job) I saw the PERFECT frame for it! It was an antique frame the owner had purchased at an auction. It was too big for the picture, so we discussed the options, he could cut the frame down, he could mount the picture in matting and then into the frame, or he could suspend it within the frame. Since we can do the first two later if we changed our minds I opted for the last one, the suspending it. So here it is as it stands now. We are not hanging it here, not for the few weeks we have left, so it is just sitting, in the next house I am planning on painting a mauvey color behind the picture within the frame to make it look like it has been matted. We'll see if that works. If all else fails, we'll have the frame cut down and set around the picture. We'll see.... So here it is. Stay tuned for pictures of "My Door". More to come on that! :)

This is the finished product or as finished as it's going to get for now.

These are a close up of the frame, there are cracks in it and even spider webs!! So authentic! :) LOL!!
3 comments:
Love your new blog, Dene!!
I love your taste! The hunt for the frame is a tough one but when you find the perfect frame (and I think you did) it's a story to tell. I have a similar painting. Mine's called "He Remembered" with a gondola going down an Italian canal with roses. A talented neighbor of my parents was the painter and knew I wanted it. She said she'd put "sold" on it during her shows and it was mine for free if I returned from Baghdad safely. It's a prized possession of mine.
I'm so glad you bought that frame! It's beautiful, and perfect for the painting.
How was Nabil doing when you went in? Did you tell him that you knew me? Hopefully he gave you a good discount.
Post a Comment